Begin Final Exam
The Final Exam consists of eight (8) Essay questions. Use the reading assignments thoroughly in an integrative discussion of your own understanding of the questions posed. Remember to reference all work cited or quoted by the text author. You should be doing this often in your responses. If you use outside resources, they should support the text information, but not replace the text.
All discussions must take into account the legal and ethical considerations, as well as issues of culture and human diversity that may pertain to the questions below. Legal and Ethical information is in Chapter 16 of the course text. Cultural information is covered throughout the course text and DSM 5. You may use alternative cultural resources to enhance your work.
Your response to each question should be approx. 1 page per question.
Your total assignment should be 8-9 pages plus a title and reference page.
Due Week 8
1. What is meant by the notion that mental illness is a social construction? How does cross-cultural research suggest that psychopathology is universal rather than a social construction?
2. It is widely recognized that people with autism spectrum disorder display deficits in communication and social behavior. It is perhaps less often noted that in some areas, their abilities may surpass those of people without autism spectrum disorder. What is your understanding if this theory? How do the enhanced abilities of those with autism spectrum disorder lend credence to an evolutionary approach to psychopathology?
3. Phrases such as “broken hearts” and “hurt feelings” liken emotional pain to physical pain. To what extent is the metaphor implied in these phrases supported neuroscientifically?
4. The role of trauma and the experience of unusual states of awareness or identity in the dissociative disorders have led psychologists to explore the relationship between dissociation and post-traumatic stress, on the one hand, and hypnosis, on the other. Briefly summarize the results of this research.
5. Discuss some of the reasons why the treatment of substance-related and addictive disorders is especially challenging. Addiction to methamphetamine is particularly difficult to treat. Review some of the cognitive deficits seen in methamphetamine addiction and explain how these deficits complicate efforts to treat the addiction.
6. Outline the neurodevelopmental hypothesis of the etiology of schizophrenia. In what way does schizophrenia represent a paradox from an evolutionary standpoint?
7. Discuss the evidence for genetic and environmental contributions to personality disorders. Identify the specific experiences that seem to underlie personality disorders. Which personality disorder seems the most genetic?
8. Highlight the beneficial effects of physical exercise not only on preventing cognitive impairment among older adults without neurocognitive disorders but also on reversing decline among those with mild neurocognitive impairment.
Analyze the physical, cognitive, social and personality aspects of abnormal psychology and implications across the life span
Examine the major diagnostic domains and specific criteria associated with DSM-5 disorders.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
Evaluate legal and ethical issues in mental health treatment
Develop an awareness of diversity and cross-cultural perspectives in abnormal psychology.
Explore available treatment and interdisciplinary services for community members experiencing mental health disorders.
Identify the barriers associated with seeking and receiving therapeutic services.
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.