Assignment on Michael Brown’s Shooting
According to media reports, police officer Darren Wilson shot and killed 18 year old Michael Brown on August 9, 2014, in Ferguson, Missouri, a suburb of St. Louis. The disputed circumstances of the shooting of an unarmed man, the resultant protests, and the civil unrest due to racial undertones of the case have received considerable attention in the United States and abroad. In this case study, you will explore how police psychology impacts the future outcome of this case and the likelihood of criminal charges being brought against the officer.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
- Determine whether or not after the resolution of this event, the officer in question will need an additional psychological assessment to ensure that his future conduct, if he returns to active duty, is befitting of an officer. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Explain the fundamental distinction between deductive analytic techniques and inductive analytic techniques. Analyze if the officer in question made his decision to act based on deductive analytic techniques or inductive analytic techniques. Provide a rationale for your response.
- Argue for or against the theory that a well prepared officer should possess the following characteristics – agreeableness, empathy, listening comprehension, and sociability – in order to perform well as a law enforcement officer. Next, determine if any of these characteristics were present when Officer Wilson encountered Michael Brown. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- Given the circumstances surrounding this event, consider the following options the officer in question may have had in this case:
- Wait for back up before engaging the suspect
- Engage the suspect without a weapon
- Follow the suspect without engaging him
- Resolve to allow the suspect to proceed to his destination