Methods and Critical Appraisal for EBP Essay
Methods and Critical Appraisal for EBP Essay
The foundation of the ninth edition of Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice continues to be the belief that nursing research is integral to all levels of nursing education and practice. Over the past three decades since the first edition of this textbook, we have seen the depth and breadth of nursing research grow, with more nurses conducting research and using research evidence to shape clinical practice, education, administration, and health policy.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
The National Academy of Medicine has challenged all health professionals to provide team-based care based on the best available scientific evidence. This is an exciting challenge. Nurses, as clinicians and interprofessional team members, are using the best available evidence, combined with their clinical judgment and patient preferences, to influence the nature and direction of health care delivery and document outcomes related to the quality and cost-effectiveness of patient care. As nurses continue to develop a unique body of nursing knowledge through research, decisions about clinical nursing practice will be increasingly evidence based.
As editors, we believe that all nurses need not only to understand the research process but also to know how to critically read, evaluate, and apply research findings in practice. We realize that understanding research, as a component of evidence-based practice and quality improvement practices, is a challenge for every student, but we believe that the challenge can be accomplished in a
stimulating, lively, and learner-friendly manner. Consistent with this perspective is an ongoing commitment to
advancing implementation of evidence-based practice. Understanding and applying research must be an integral dimension of baccalaureate education, evident not only in the undergraduate nursing research course but also threaded throughout the curriculum. The research role of baccalaureate graduates calls for evidence-based practice and quality improvement competencies; central to this are critical appraisal skills—that is, nurses should be competent research consumers.
Preparing students for this role involves developing their critical thinking skills, thereby enhancing their understanding of the research process, their appreciation of the role of the critiquer, and their ability to actually critically appraise research. An undergraduate research course should develop this basic level of competence, an essential requirement if students are to engage in evidence-informed clinical decision making and practice, as well as quality improvement activities. Methods and Critical Appraisal for EBP Essay
The primary audience for this textbook remains undergraduate students who are learning the steps of the research process, as well as how to develop clinical questions, critically appraise published research literature, and use research findings to inform evidence- based clinical practice and quality improvement initiatives. This book is also a valuable resource for students at the master’s, DNP, and PhD levels who want a concise review of the basic steps of the research process, the critical appraisal process, and the principles and tools for evidence-based practice and quality improvement.
This text is also an important resource for practicing nurses who strive to use research evidence as the basis for clinical decision making and development of evidence-based policies, protocols, and standards or who collaborate with nurse-scientists in conducting clinical research and evidence-based practice. Finally, this text is an important resource for considering how evidence-based practice, quality improvement, and interprofessional collaboration are essential competencies for students and clinicians practicing in a transformed health care system, where nurses and their interprofessional team members are accountable for the quality and cost-effectiveness of care provided to their patient population.
Building on the success of the eighth edition, we reaffirm our commitment to introducing evidence-based practice, quality improvement processes, and research principles to baccalaureate students, thereby providing a cutting-edge, research consumer foundation for their clinical practice. Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice prepares nursing students and practicing nurses to become knowledgeable nursing research consumers by doing the following:
• Addressing the essential evidence-based practice and quality improvement role of the nurse, thereby embedding evidence- based competencies in clinical practice.
• Demystifying research, which is sometimes viewed as a complex process.
• Using a user-friendly, evidence-based approach to teaching the fundamentals of the research process.
• Including an exciting chapter on the role of theory in research and evidence-based practice.
• Providing a robust chapter on systematic reviews and clinical guidelines.
• Offering two innovative chapters on current strategies and tools for developing an evidence-based practice.
• Concluding with an exciting chapter on quality improvement and its application to practice.
• Teaching the critical appraisal process in a user-friendly progression.
• Promoting a lively spirit of inquiry that develops critical thinking and critical reading skills, facilitating mastery of the critical appraisal process.
• Developing information literacy, searching, and evidence-based practice competencies that prepare students and nurses to
effectively locate and evaluate the best research evidence.
• Emphasizing the role of evidence-based practice and quality improvement initiatives as the basis for informing clinical decisions that support nursing practice.
• Presenting numerous examples of recently published research studies that illustrate and highlight research concepts in a manner that brings abstract ideas to life for students. These examples are critical links that reinforce evidence-based concepts and the critiquing process. Methods and Critical Appraisal for EBP Essay
• Presenting five published articles, including a meta-analysis, in the Appendices, the highlights of which are woven throughout the text as exemplars of research and evidence-based practice.
• Showcasing, in four new inspirational Research Vignettes, the work of renowned nurse researchers whose careers exemplify the links among research, education, and practice.
• Introducing new pedagogical interprofessional education chapter features, IPE Highlights and IPE Critical Thinking Challenges and quality improvement, QSEN Evidence-Based Practice Tips.
• Integrating stimulating pedagogical chapter features that reinforce learning, including Learning Outcomes, Key Terms, Key Points, Critical Thinking Challenges, Helpful Hints, Evidence-Based Practice Tips, Critical Thinking Decision Paths, and numerous tables, boxes, and figures.
• Featuring a revised section titled Appraising the Evidence, accompanied by an updated Critiquing Criteria box in each chapter that presents a step of the research process.
• Offering a student Evolve site with interactive review questions that provide chapter-by-chapter review in a format consistent with that of the NCLEX® Examination.
• Offering a Student Study Guide that promotes active learning and assimilation of nursing research content.
• Presenting Faculty Evolve Resources that include a test bank, TEACH lesson plans, PowerPoint slides with integrated audience response system questions, and an image collection. Evolve resources for both students and faculty also include a research article library with appraisal exercises for additional practice in reviewing and critiquing, as well as content updates.
The ninth edition of Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice is organized into four parts. Each part is preceded by an introductory section and opens with an engaging Research Vignette by a renowned nurse researcher.
Part I, Overview of Research and Evidence-Based Practice, contains four chapters: Chapter 1, “Integrating Research, Evidence- Based Practice, and Quality Improvement Processes,” provides an excellent overview of research and evidence-based practice processes that shape clinical practice. The chapter speaks directly to students and highlights critical reading concepts and strategies, facilitating student understanding of the research process and its relationship to the critical appraisal process. The chapter introduces a model evidence hierarchy that is used throughout the text. The style and content of this chapter are designed to make subsequent chapters user friendly. The next two chapters address foundational components of the research process. Chapter 2, “Research Questions, Hypotheses, and Clinical Questions,” focuses on how research questions and hypotheses are derived, operationalized, and critically appraised. Students are also taught how to develop clinical questions that are used to guide evidence-based inquiry, including quality improvement projects. Chapter 3, “Gathering and Appraising the Literature,” showcases cutting-edge information literacy content and provides students and nurses with the tools necessary to effectively search, retrieve, manage, and evaluate research studies and their findings. Chapter 4, “Theoretical Frameworks for Research,” is a user-friendly theory chapter that provides students with an understanding of how theories provide the foundation of research studies and evidence-based practice projects.
Part II, Processes and Evidence Related to Qualitative Research, contains three interrelated qualitative research chapters. Chapter 5, Methods and Critical Appraisal for EBP Essay
Get a 10 % discount on an order above $ 50
Use the following coupon code :