Module 8 discussion 2 Discussions A/B Complete the discussion in Group A or B as assigned by the instructor and then respond to the alternate group. All students are required to review all posts for general knowledge. Keep in mind that you will earn points for your initial discussion posts, as well as your responses. If you do not posts responses, you cannot earn full credit. Refer to the Discussion Rubric on how points are earned. Discussion A Missy is 3 years old. She enjoys being with mom and grandma in the kitchen. She pulls a chair close to the stove, climbs on the chair and looks inside the pot of boiling water. The steam is hot on her face, she steps back and as she falls off the chair, the boiling water is pulled down on her. Missy is rushed to the emergency department. Grandma has put some butter on her fingers, but her face was not treated. Review the Rule of Nines found on page 1021. In the ED, the nurse discovers that her hands, face, chest and arms are burned. The Dr. believes it to be a partial thickness burn, but notes her hands are blistered and very edematous. Provide nursing care to this young patient that is complaining of pain, crying, and uncooperative.
Educate the mother and grandmother on the extent of the burn and the on-going care that will be needed. Include medication you may wish to request from the physician and the dosage. Group B Response After several days the doctor begins discussing grafting of the hands and face. Can you educate the parents on the care the child will need. What is the home care situation for this child? Please also discuss long term issues, physical, emotional, how will she relate to peers? Discussion B Due to a fall from a second story townhouse, Jimmy sustained a fractured left femur and a mild head injury. Jimmy is 10 years old. He was reaching for a ball that had gotten lodged into the gutter over the small balcony of his parent’s bedroom. He thought if he stood on the railing and reached with the badminton racket he could get it. Currently he is 2 days postoperative from repair of the left femur. He is being transferred out of the pediatric ICU where the Neurologist has stated he is stable but needs continued neuro checks q2 hours. He has a full left leg cast. The Foley catheter is to be replaced today, or he can attempt to roll onto a bedpan if needed. Please list the systems that are affected by this boy’s injuries. List the nursing interventions now that he is on your nursing unit. Start a list of nursing diagnosis match the system you are presenting. Group A Response Please add the interdisciplinary team that needs to attend to this boy’s health care needs. Plan home care if appropriate. And continue the list of nursing diagnosis.
Save your time - order a paper!
Get your paper written from scratch within the tight deadline. Our service is a reliable solution to all your troubles. Place an order on any task and we will take care of it. You won’t have to worry about the quality and deadlinesOrder Paper Now
ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE CLASS
Discussion Questions (DQ)
- Initial responses to the DQ should address all components of the questions asked, include a minimum of one scholarly source, and be at least 250 words.
- Successful responses are substantive (i.e., add something new to the discussion, engage others in the discussion, well-developed idea) and include at least one scholarly source.
- One or two sentence responses, simple statements of agreement or “good post,” and responses that are off-topic will not count as substantive. Substantive responses should be at least 150 words.
- I encourage you to incorporate the readings from the week (as applicable) into your responses.
- Your initial responses to the mandatory DQ do not count toward participation and are graded separately.
- In addition to the DQ responses, you must post at least one reply to peers (or me) on three separate days, for a total of three replies.
- Participation posts do not require a scholarly source/citation (unless you cite someone else’s work).
- Part of your weekly participation includes viewing the weekly announcement and attesting to watching it in the comments. These announcements are made to ensure you understand everything that is due during the week.
APA Format and Writing Quality
- Familiarize yourself with APA format and practice using it correctly. It is used for most writing assignments for your degree. Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for APA paper templates, citation examples, tips, etc. Points will be deducted for poor use of APA format or absence of APA format (if required).
- Cite all sources of information! When in doubt, cite the source. Paraphrasing also requires a citation.
- I highly recommend using the APA Publication Manual, 6th edition.
Use of Direct Quotes
- I discourage overutilization of direct quotes in DQs and assignments at the Masters’ level and deduct points accordingly.
- As Masters’ level students, it is important that you be able to critically analyze and interpret information from journal articles and other resources. Simply restating someone else’s words does not demonstrate an understanding of the content or critical analysis of the content.
- It is best to paraphrase content and cite your source.
- For assignments that need to be submitted to LopesWrite, please be sure you have received your report and Similarity Index (SI) percentage BEFORE you do a “final submit” to me.
- Once you have received your report, please review it. This report will show you grammatical, punctuation, and spelling errors that can easily be fixed. Take the extra few minutes to review instead of getting counted off for these mistakes.
- Review your similarities. Did you forget to cite something? Did you not paraphrase well enough? Is your paper made up of someone else’s thoughts more than your own?
- Visit the Writing Center in the Student Success Center, under the Resources tab in LoudCloud for tips on improving your paper and SI score.
- The university’s policy on late assignments is 10% penalty PER DAY LATE. This also applies to late DQ replies.
- Please communicate with me if you anticipate having to submit an assignment late. I am happy to be flexible, with advance notice. We may be able to work out an extension based on extenuating circumstances.
- If you do not communicate with me before submitting an assignment late, the GCU late policy will be in effect.
- I do not accept assignments that are two or more weeks late unless we have worked out an extension.
- As per policy, no assignments are accepted after the last day of class. Any assignment submitted after midnight on the last day of class will not be accepted for grading.
- Communication is so very important. There are multiple ways to communicate with me:
- Questions to Instructor Forum: This is a great place to ask course content or assignment questions. If you have a question, there is a good chance one of your peers does as well. This is a public forum for the class.
- Individual Forum: This is a private forum to ask me questions or send me messages. This will be checked at least once every 24 hours.